Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Good Day to Stay Inside

Yesterday morning would have been a good day to stay inside, watch M*A*S*H reruns, and eat a five pound bag of Oreos. The weather was miserable out... a proverbial steambath. I can honestly say it was my worst run of the year and it was only a five miles... five sweaty miles. I could only muster two splits out of the five that were under 8 minute pace... two stinkin' splits. And those two splits were barely under 8 minute pace. I was telling my brother Pete this morning that it literally has been months since I had a run where the cumulative time of the run averaged over 8 minutes per mile and today marked the end of that streak. I averaged a whopping 8:22 per mile for the entire run... pretty amazing... it was that hot out. My legs felt like redwood tree trunks and it felt like I was running through a wall of humid haze. I probably lost a total of five to six pounds of water weight in that forty-two minute run and I didn't stop sweating until 15 to 20 minutes after I was done running. It truly is amazing what that kind of heat can do to your body in a short amount of time. It almost made me long for running on the treadmill... I say almost because I was most likely delirious from the heat.

A quick sidenote: Starting tomorrow I will be taking a minor sabbatical from blog writing as I take a five day vacation in the tranquility of the North Woods of Wisconsin. The best part is... I really don't plan on doing much other than relaxing and soaking up the sun a bit while sitting by the lake. I'm sure I will get in a run or two while I'm up there, and maybe even run in a race, but I can tell you about that when I get back. There's nothing that can't wait while you're on vacation... unless, of course, I get chased and attacked by a bear while out running... then I might head to the local library to tell you about it. Auf Wiedersehen!

Yesterday's workout: 5.1 miles > 42:41 > 8:22 pace (Yikes!)

Miles this week: 5.1

No comments: