Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In Elysium

Wow, did I fly today... and it felt good! Last week I got in a solid 47 miles but none of the runs felt very strong or fluid. Most of my runs were around 7:40 pace and even though that is still a pretty good pace, it wasn't the 7:30 pace or under that I had been getting accustomed to the last couple of months. We all have our down weeks and maybe that was mine. I thought this past Sunday this past Sunday that my pace would pick up a bit because the running weather was really ideal. On Sunday, I decided to get up at 4:45 am so I could get my long run done early so I could get down to the Monona Terrace to watch the start of the Ironman Triathalon. When I stepped out the door and felt the cool and briskness of the air, I was very optimistic that I was going to have a fast training run. I was wrong. The run went well, don't get me wrong, but it was another 12 mile run at around 7:40 pace. Maybe I just needed to get a little more rest. I haven't been getting a ton lately. I decided to give myself the day off on Monday since I had run the previous three days. The break did me good. After sleeping in a bit 'til 8:30 am this morning, I woke up to find another cool and brisk sunny day. Even though I much prefer it cloudy when I run, the brightness of the sun didn't bother me at all today. I actually enjoyed it. The temperature was just so darn cool and comfortable that I couldn't help but enjoy the sunshine. I was in elysium. The temps felt so good that it made my legs feel fresher and livlier, and from the get go I was was able to kick up a really good pace. After a down week last week, I was finally to crack off a good long run at 7:15 pace and again, it felt good. It was one of those training runs where for mile after mile you just feel like you can just keep on going without getting tired and without slowing down. It really is a wonderful feeling and one that I would love to experience more often. Some people call it a runners high. I call it elysium.

Miles last week: 47.3

Today's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:20:25 > 7:15 pace

Miles this week: 11.1

No comments: