Thursday, October 9, 2008

One Final Run and a Guarantee

Well, this is it... one final tune up run before the big day on Saturday morning. One final run to get my legs churning, heart pumping, and get a good sweat broken. One final run to think about race strategy and how I'm going to attack the opening miles as compared to the finishing miles. One final run before what looks like my last marathon of the year. In retrospect, I had two clear main objectives when the new year started. The first one was to run three marathons in the calendar year so that I could get to an even ten for my career... I will be doing that. The second objective was to requalify for Boston in one of the three... I have yet to do that, just missing the standard in the previous two races by a couple minutes each. This weekends event should be a much different result, though. This should be the one. I'm feeling very confident in that all the training that I've put in this past year, over 1,600 miles worth of it, is pointing me toward a rapturous end result, one that I've been shooting for since the first of the year. As I've said in past races, especially the marathon distance, there are absolutely no guarantees on how you will do because it is such a tough and grueling race, mentally and physically... especially the last six of the 26 miles. I still stick by that. However, I would like to amend it just a bit. There are no guarantees, save for one. That I will dig down and battle and try my best to get out all the God-given ability I have on Saturday morning... to make myself proud and the people who know me best proud. That, my friends, is a guarantee!

Today's workout: 5.6 miles > 43:22 > 7:45 pace

Miles this week: 13.7

No comments: