Thursday, October 30, 2008

That Time of Year... Again

For whatever reason, I sometimes get much more thirsty when I'm out for a long run in the Fall and Winter as opposed to the Summer. I don't know whether it's the crisper, more dry air of those seasons that drys out my mouth or what, but sometimes during my long runs during those months I get a little parched and need to wet my whistle. Today was one of those days. It was very brisk and breezy out and as I was nearing the seven mile point in the run I decided that when I came upon the next water fountain I was going to take a bit of a respite and stop for a cool drink. I usually don't take pit stops on my runs around Lake Monona but today I was really looking forward to it... so I stopped... pushed the water fountain button and out came... nothin'. My wonderful friends at Madison Water Dept. had already turned off the water to the bubblers for the season. Terrific. The first snow of the season hasn't even flown yet here in Madison and they've already shut down the fountains. I know it's been a little chillier as of late, but c'mon... is it really chilly enough that it's going to freeze up the pipes already? We're not living in the Arctic Circle. After mumbling a few things to myself and shaking my head, I continued on. The Water Fountain Season comes and goes way to fast. Now I have to wait until the end of April or the start of May to have that convenience once again. I guess I'll have to make other plans. I'm not going back to carrying a water bottle either. It's annoying and it usually freezes anyway. Hmmm... there are a lot of bars along my running route. I have never been much for bar hopping, but that could work;)

Today's workout: 11.2 miles > 1:23:55 > 7:30 pace

Miles this week: 22.4

No comments: