Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Is This Oregon or Wisconsin?

I don't know what it is with Wisconsin lately but we sure have been getting a lot of rain the past several days. Instead of feeling like I'm living in the midwest, I feel like I'm in the northwest. Instead of feeling like I'm living in Madison, WI, I feel like I'm living in Portland, OR. It has been very rainy and very dreary, to say the least. But hey, at least it's not snow. The one good thing about the rain is that it has pretty much annihilated any snow remnants on the ground. Jack Frost is currently heading to the Dane County Airport wearing a rain slicker and hoping to catch a flight to Arctic Circle, or maybe even the Bahamas... it is spring break time you know. Despite the Translyvanian type weather this morning I was able to find a little pocket of time where the weather wasn't too bad. Yes it was foggy, overcast and a touch drizzly but the temps were somewhat comfortable and there wasn't much wind. A very tolerable morning for March to run around the lake. It was hard to get motivated to run this morning, though. I don't know if it was the gray weather or just being tired from the start of the work week yesterday, but I sure had a heck of a time prying my keester out of bed and putting on my running shoes. My bed sheets and comforter sure felt like lead weights because I had a heck of a time moving them off of me. Leaving the warm confines of my bedroom was more of a challenge than running the 11 miles that I would eventually do. I made it though. I slowly crept out of bed and begrudgingly put on my running gear. I say begrudgingly because that, sometimes, is a real chore too, especially when you still sleepy and your joints are still creaking from the previous nights slumber. After I accomplished that goal (and I do mean goal), I was out the door and into my running cadence. The body loosened up pretty quickly and soon I was concentrating on getting in a quality long run. Like I said earlier, despite the gloomy weather it was actually pretty comfortable out. The light mist and the cool temps felt good on my face and it kind of invigorated me for the hour and a half jaunt. I tell you, it never ceases to amaze me how good you can feel out running in the morning when you initially felt so tired and crappy rolling out of bed. It's a good feeling though and really jump starts the rest of the day.

Today's workout: 11.5 miles > 1:33:25 > 8:04 pace

Miles this week: 11.5

No comments: