Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First 20 Miler of the Year in the Bag

Well, I'm back at it again. After taking a nice, long sabbatical from writing since November I thought I would start things up again. I just needed a little bit of time away from my esoteric journal because sometimes I even get sick about talking about running. Hard to believe, huh? I know that probably seems highly unlikely to most people but it's true. Sometimes it seems like all I do is eat, sleep and drink running and because of that, I just needed to quell one aspect of it for a bit, and that one aspect was this blog. Don't worry... I still had plenty of running stuff to occupy me. I was still training hard (usually five times a week and over 40 miles) despite some crappy winter weather, still writing in my John Jerome yearly running log, and still working a day or two a week at Movin' Shoes, one of Madison's local running shops. You see... plenty to occupy and satisfy my running fix. Who needs a running blog, right? Well, despite enjoying the time away from the blog, I did miss writing an entry or two every once in awhile. After starting "The Road Scholar" up last May and keying in over 90 some entries, it did get a little habit forming. Still, I can't promise that it won't happen again where I take a little time away to recharge my battery. I think every writer needs that from time to time, whether professional or neophyte. It is good to be back though, and I know everybody out there in the running community was waiting for this moment with bated breath... yeah right. I'm sure most people could care less.

Well as I stated in the heading, last Saturday I got in my first 20 mile training run of the year in and it felt good to do something of that quality. The weather was tolerable for it too. That usually is my main concern no matter what season I am dealing with here in Wisconsin. Saturday was cold but definitely nothing unbearable or that made me cringe. The temp starting out was around 10 degrees and there was a pretty decent wind blowing out of the northwest. I really didn't want to layer up as much as I did that day but when it's that brisk out, you have to. Despite the cold temps, windy weather and the constricting clothing it was sunny out which helped matter greatly. It's funny... in my entries during the summer months I would always lament over how I hate sunny days because the sunshine would just drain me and overheat me during long runs... overcast days are so much more comfortable during the summer months. Winter it's the polar opposite... I would much rather have it sunny because that sun really warms you up on those chilly days. The shade just makes it all the much colder. So the sun shining out last Saturday was a real blessing and actually made the chilly morning quite comfortable. My route for the 20 miler was my usual one. Heading out from my apartment in Monona down to the Vilas Zoo area, around the arboretum loop and then down to the capitol. Because it's only March, the water fountains have yet to be turned on (and probably won't be on for a good month or longer) so I decided to stop at the Starbucks on the square for some agua. I was at 14 miles at that point in my run and I did need to get a little hydration in me as well as some carb gel. The Starbucks people are always nice to give me a good glass of ice water and it is always appreciated. Boy, did it taste good too. After a mini break I was back on my way for the remaining six miles that took me by the Willy St. neighborhood and Olbrich Park. The run was a good one... I really can't complain. Legs weren't achy and I ran a nice steady pace. Even ran a couple mile splits in the 7:30 range at the end. That's always a good sign.

Because the Boston Marathon didn't work out for me this year, I am planning to do the Green Bay Marathon this May 17th with my good friends Dave and Steve. Green Bay will always be sentimental for me because that is where I started my marathoning journey back in 2003. It was one heck of a learning experience and I have gained much marathoning knowledge since then. It's hard to believe that this May's marathon will be my 11th. There was a time that I didn't think I would be able to do one. I love proving myself wrong.

Again, it's good to be back.

Saturday's workout: 20.1 miles > 2:42:50

Miles last week: 52


No comments: