Thursday, March 12, 2009

This is Wisconsin... Wait a Minute and the Weather Will Change.

People who know me know that I love Wisconsin, but boy, I tell you what, it sure can have some strange weather patterns. Just the other day I was writing how Wisconsin had turned into this tropical rain forest after a three or four day span of the wet stuff. Now, the past couple of days we've been hit with an arctic blast where the temps have dropped below zero with that ever so wonderful windchill returning. Yesterday was much worse, though, when I just did a quick 5 miler in the morning. Luckily with the route that I ran, the wind seemed to be primarily at my back. The only real mistake I made in running yesterday was that I ran in shorts and a running singlet... just kidding. I would have only done that if I had a death wish. Today's run, although still very much chilly out, was much more comfortable. The temp was still hovering around zero or a bit below, but it was much more tolerable today because the wind had died down considerably. Still, it took me a good mile or two to get into that comfort zone. Once I got my body temperature raised, it actually turned out to be a nice leisurely run around Lake Monona. I say leisurely because I certainly didn't blaze a trail today. Only 8:22 pace. Being that it was so cold out, I got bundled up pretty good and that always restricts your normal running movement. I really didn't care though. You have to deal with that in winter time. Besides, sometimes you just need to run for the sake of running and not worry about pace or splits... that was today's run in a nutshell. Just run and enjoy. Hopefully this Saturday, though, I can get in a good, quality long run. I'm hoping for around 15 to 18 miles. What's the weather supposed to be like, you ask? Around mid 40's. Could be shorts weather. Figures, huh? Rain. Cold. Comfortable. Yup, makes perfect sense. After all, this is Wisconsin... like I said, just wait a few minutes and the weather will change.

Today's workout: 11.5 miles > 1:36:07 > 8:22 pace

Wednesday's workout: 5.1 miles > 42:40 > 8:22 pace

Miles this week: 28.1

No comments: