Monday, March 9, 2009

My Weekend Miles Included First Night Run of the Year

Last Friday was a long day. Having to work at the running store in the morning for four hours and then the tv station for eight takes a lot out of you sometimes. That's why I normally try not to schedule my runs on that day. It's just an extra thing and I generally have to get up earlier to do it. Besides that, I was just coming off running three consecutive days. With working two jobs and putting 28.5 miles the previous three days, a day off from my legs hitting the pavement was needed on Friday. That is until I was on my break at the tv station and started to think about when I was going to get in my typical third run around the lake for the week. I was planning to do it on Saturday or Sunday but after seeing the forecast that our weatherman was predicting for the weekend, it didn't sound like I had much to choose from as far as getting in a quality long run in the morning hours. Both days called for very rainy weather with some added wind in there to make things even tougher. What to do, what to do? The thought then popped into my head about maybe getting in a run around the lake when I got home from work that night. Those who know me pretty well know that I occasionally love running outside at night during the summer months after work so as to avoid the sun and and the summer heat. That plan really worked well for me last year and because of that I really avoided some hot and oppressive mornings. Granted it's not summer, it's March. And yes, it's not even close to being hot out, but you know what, running in the rain can be even a bigger pain... especially when you are running long distances and your clothes soak up all the rainwater and your shoes are squishing like you are running on sponges instead. Let me tell you, that's not fun. Knowing that, I poked my head out the door on my break to check the weather and, lo and behold, it was perfect out. A very mild March night, temp around 40, no wind, clear skies and the moon shining brightly. A very ideal night to go for a run no matter what the season. Still, I really wasn't up for a run. I was pretty exhausted mentally and physical from the day and I just wanted to go home, watch a little tv and doze off. My bed was truly calling to me and that's what I wanted to put my body into after work, not a pair of running shoes. I knew that idea wouldn't win out though. With the crappy weekend weather forecasted and the ideal running conditions that night, I put on my running tights and laced up my shoes when I got home and headed out to run around Lake Monona at 11:15pm that night. Despite how tired I was, it didn't take me too long to feel better and get acclimated to the nice weather. After taking my first few steps and filling my lungs with cool March air, I was was ready to tackle the lake and get in a solid run. As I headed out I wondered what inane motorists, bicyclists or bar patrons would be heckling me as I rounded the lake. It's happened before, you know. I'm out enjoying a peaceful run around the lake, minding my own business and some academic wunderkind yells a few "colorful metaphors" at me and basically wants to know what the #@%! I am doing out at this time of night running. Sometimes, they are not even that creative and just lay on the horn and try to scare the hell out of me. Not the brightest bulbs in the box, are they? I honestly don't mind though. In fact, if they yell at me, I enjoy yelling back. It helps pass the time. Madison was on it's best behavior Friday night, though. Not one snide remark about how stupid I was for running at "this time of the night" and not one horn honk. Madison was pretty tame. Maybe it was the good weather that day that put everyone in a better mood... who knows. Whatever the reason I appreciated it and it made the run all the more enjoyable. Another nice surprise was how well I ran despite feeling like a zombie at work. That crisp March air did the trick and really reinvigorated my body, mind and spirit and I was able to circle the lake in an hour and twenty-six minutes. That's 7:47 pace for 11 miles. Guess I should think about running more often when I'm dead tired. Suffice it to say... I'm glad I went, even though I finished my run at 12:45am.

Saturday was a true day off from running. I had absolutely no desire to even run a mile what with the rainy weather and because... well, I just didn't want to. Sunday was a different story though. It was still very rainy out and a lot more windy. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the health club to run on the treadmill but I just didn't feel like running four or five miles in that weather and getting completely soaked. So, I buckled down and headed off to the Princeton Club. It had been several weeks since I was there last and I'd be lying to you if I said I missed being there, because I didn't. I really don't care for running on treadmills and breathing in the stale air that the health club affords. I'm much rather run in the country and breath in that perfumey farm fresh scent that we mid-westerners call manure. I'd take that any day... okay, maybe that statement is a little too strong (like the odor) but it's still true. Despite my dislike for the treadmill, it was a much more viable option that day than running outside in the monsoon, and it was only for five miles. Surprisingly, the run turned out to be a nice, little workout for me. I hadn't been getting in much speedwork as of late and as the run kept progressing I kept ramping up the pace a bit. By the time I finished I had done the last mile in around 6:50 pace or so and felt good in doing so. The entire run on a whole was good... I averaged 7:33 pace for the entire run. A good way to end the week.

Friday's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:26:19 > 7:47 pace

Sunday's workout: 5.1 miles > 38:32 > 7:33 pace

Miles last week: 44.7

No comments: