Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting on the Run

Well, this morning I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I wanted to get in a decent long run especially with the impending long night ahead for me at the tv station with election coverage. A good long run before an expected busy night at work always helps me to stay focused and relaxed and helps me to get whatever worries and frustrations I have in me... out. Since today is the much anticipated election day where we the citizens of the United States have the wonderful right to choose a new president for the next four years, I thought I would exercise twice... exercise to stay fit and in shape, and then exercise my right to vote and then have a fit, depending on who wins;) So with that, I threw on my running garb, stowed my drivers license in my shorts pocket for proof of residence, and headed out for a run around the lake. The morning was an extremely mild one considering that it is now November 4th. The sun was out shining brightly and it was fairly cool but not as much as it has been the last week or so. As I was out running you could definitely tell there was a buzz in the air... a lot more foot traffic, bicycle traffic and traffic in general, all I'm assuming, heading to their respective polling places to vote. The lake route is always an enjoyable route to run but today it was even more enjoyable with the anticipation that at the end of the run I would be casting my ballot like millions of other voters in this country with the hope that you will be helping, in some small way, to shape the great foundation of these United States. It really is a pretty awesome thing once you sit and think about it. I was also happy in the fact knowing that the end of this day marks the end of all those "wonderful" political ads that we've been accustomed to seeing (and tuning out) over the past several months. That, in and of itself, is a reason to rejoice. I finished up my 12 mile run by the Monona Community Center, the polling station where I vote. After cooling down a bit, I headed inside to do my civic duty. I had come at a good time. It was mid-morning and the lines were very short. I was able to walk right in, give them my name and address, get my ballot and vote. I was in and out of there in probably five minutes. Actually, the reason it was so fast for me is that the people inside conducted another vote... they all voted to get me in and out of there as fast as they could since I was all sweaty from my run and not smelling the greatest. That was my plan all along... you've got to love America. I should have been a politician... but they're dirty and stink for other reasons.;) Get out there and VOTE!

Today's workout: 12.1 > 1:34:39 > 7:45 pace

Miles this week: 12.1

Miles last week: 37.7

No comments: