Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh, What New Shoes Can Do!

My shoes were getting flat. Tuesday's election day run was proof of that. During that 12 miler, my knees were a little more achy and my right achilles started to get a little twinge to it... sometimes a telling sign that it's time for a new pair. My first pair of Saucony's served me well, though. I decided to give them a try at the beginning of August after years of being loyal to New Balance, and after putting in close to 500 miles on them, they are pretty much on their "last legs." A new pair was definitely in order. So, on my way to work yesterday, I decided to stop off at Movin' Shoes and pick up a new pair. Let me tell you, there is nothing like getting a new pair of running shoes. They are so nice and bright and clean, and just like when you get a new car, they have that "new shoe smell" to them. That doesn't last long though. As most runners will attest to, as well as their family and friends, the cleanliness and the nice smell go away very quickly. After picking them up yesterday afternoon, I was looking forward to getting out on the road this morning to give them their first "test drive." The morning didn't look too promising, though. When I woke up, it was pretty rainy and very windy. Oh well. I was at least hopeful of getting in a good five or six miles on the new treads. I checked the radar and was optimistic that there was a little break in the weather where I could get in my run. I waited a little longer and finally the rain had subsided a bit to a light mist. The wind was a different story. It was still pretty windy. I didn't care though. I just wanted to get out there and get in a run with my new shoes. From the very first stride I took in my run today I could feel what a difference wearing fresh shoes made. It was like putting springs on my feet and running on clouds. I could feel the support and cushion for my feet making my legs spring to life and giving me that extra boost. After having run thousands of miles in my lifetime, it's always a welcome treat. Because my feet and legs were feeling so good, I didn't want to cheat myself by just running a basic five miler. Even though the skies were looking somewhat ominous and I didn't know what the impending weather held, I decided to risk it and run around the lake anyway. The first half of the run was great. I had news shoes and gusty wind at my back. I was flying. The second half was a different story. It was a little more challenging at times because that wind that was my back was now in my face. I did vary my route a bit so that I had trees and houses blocking it at times, but once I got to Olbrich Park, there was nothing there to protect and barricade me from the wind. That was ok, though. The new shoes were still providing me with that nice, new springiness to my step. I even finished up strong by running the last mile in 6:43. Not bad for the 11th mile with the wind in your face. New shoes... you gotta love 'em.

Today's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:22:22 > 7:25 pace

Miles this week: 23.2

No comments: