Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bad Brewer Loss... Great Nighttime Run

I was originally going to take Saturday off, but after watching the Brewers blow an extra inning loss to the stinky Twins on tv last night, I decided, what better way to blow off a little steam than to go for a late night long run. So after sticking my head out the door to check what the weather was like, I strapped on my running shoes and headed out for a run around the lake at 10:30pm. I'm so glad I did too. It was just an absolutely perfect night. The moon was out, it was clear and cool, and there was a really nice, gentle breeze blowing. When I was in my twenties, I used to do quite a few late night runs... I always liked the peace and serenity of the nighttime, plus I didn't much care for running in sun back then... I guess I would have made a good vampire;) Last night's run brought back a lot of good memories for me of when I used to run at night, and it made me realize maybe I should sprinkle in a few more here and there... especially since I felt so good, ran so effortlessly, and it was just so beautiful out. In my 14 years of living here in Madison, I had never run around the lake at night, and it was truly something to behold. With both the moon and the capitol dome reflecting its glow off the glassy mirror wake of Lake Monona, I grew to appreciate even more what a beautiful city and state I live in. Even though I finished my run at close to midnight, it was a run that I wish could have just kept on going... it was just that enjoyable, and the time just seemed to fly by as I soaked in all things I've seen in a million times before... but not at night.

Last night's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:19:56 > 7:12 pace

Miles this week: 39.4

No comments: