Sunday, June 29, 2008

Me vs. The Computer

For several years now, I have been using the Garmin Forerunner 201, a gps training watch that accurately and instantly tells me my time, distance and training pace on daily runs. It really has been an ideal training tool for me, and with the use of it, has helped me to accomplish a lot of my racing goals. The Garmin really has a ton of functions and capabilities, most of which I have not fully utilized. I primarily just use it to help me with my pacing and to help me run even splits in a race. This afternoon, though, I decided to buck the trend and use it's virtual partner function to see how it worked and how it might be of benefit to me. I have to say that I really liked it, but I wouldn't want to use it every day. When using the virtual partner, it gives you three options to punch in: you can either set the watch to your distance and time, your time and pace or your distance and pace. I chose the latter and plugged in a distance of 7.1 miles and a pace of 7:45 per mile. After the numbers are plugged in, you just hit the start button and you are instantly racing against the computer. On the watch display, there are two little people racing side by side. The top one represents the computer who is running an even 7:45 pace and the bottom one is me who has to keep pace with it. The nice thing about this training device is that it instantly puts you in the race mode mindset, and from the moment you hit start, your pace is a little more up tempo than it usually is when you go out for a training run. Another nice feature is that the watch will tell you the distance you are lagging behind or ahead of the computer. I started off a little behind Garmin but that didn't last too long. Within the first minute or so, I surged ahead and made a conscious effort to stay there, as well as lengthen the distance I was ahead was ahead of the computer. Like I said, I really like how it put me into that race mode mindset, and because of that, I averaged a 7:07 pace for the 7 miles and buried poor 'ol Garmin in the dust by over half a mile. GAME OVER. Even though I really enjoyed using the new feature, I wouldn't want to use it every day. It might get a little draining to be in race mode for every training run. That would take some of the pure joy out of running... just to go out and run and not worry pacing or distance. Plus, I wouldn't want Garmin's fragile ego to get bruised too badly from me beating it every day;)

Today's workout: 7.1 miles > 50:34 > 7:07 pace

Miles this week: 20.4

No comments: