Monday, June 9, 2008

Running Through a Small Lake

In Bill Rodgers' Lifetime Running Plan, he once stated:
"In the 30 years I've been a runner I've run more than 150,000 miles.
Still, some of the hardest steps I take are those first few getting out the door
for daily runs."
Those are very sage words coming from a great marathoner, and they certainly ring true for me. I've only run a fraction of his 150,000 miles (close to 10,000), but I certainly know what he means when he says some of the hardest steps to take are those first ones getting your butt out the door to run. I definitely felt like that this morning. After finishing up yesterday with a hard 11 miles and 55 miles for the week, I had the hardest of times getting myself motivated to get out of bed and get in a simple five mile run. For whatever reason, it just seemed like such a daunting task. Still, I did force myself outside, and after a few achy steps, felt pretty decent despite the warm weather. The hardest part of the run came a little more than two miles into the run when I turned on the Capitol City Bike Path and came upon a fairly big section of standing water that just seemed to swallow up the asphalt. After stopping to survey the area, and deliberating as to whether to double back to complete my run, I just said the heck with and plowed through the over ankle high water. The experience reminded me of running from the beach into the shallows of a lake up in Northern Wisconsin. After emerging from the other side, shoes and socks completely soaked, I squished my way back home, averaging 7:44 pace for the run but wondering if I should have just stayed in bed.

Today's workout: 5.1 miles > 39:26 > 7:44 pace

Miles this week: 5.1

No comments: