Friday, June 27, 2008

The Power Goes Out... The Shoes Go On

When I got home from work last night, I wasn't really planning on going for a run. It was a good night to go, but I just wanted to watch a little tv and then do my best impression of Rip Van Winkle. As I was just about to doze off, the power in my apartment went off. It wasn't a good time to go off either. It was fairly warm in the apartment and with no power to cirulate the air, it made it that much worse. I stuck my head outside to see what areas were affected by the outage, and noticed that pretty much the whole block and surrounding area were in pitch black, vampire mode. Terrific. While I was outside, I noticed how comfortable the temp was and decided that instead of running in the forecasted muggy weather of the morning, I should just get my run in now (at 1am) and be done with it. Plus, maybe by the time I was done with the run, the power would be back on. With that, I lit up a candle to give my apartment a little flickering light, laced up my shoes, and headed out the door to get in a little five miler. As I headed north down Monona Dr. to do an out and back, I noticed how some places still had a little light while others buildings were blacker than black. People at The Silver Eagle, a local watering hole, were milling about outside in the hopes that the lights might come on so they could have that one final libation before heading home. The stoplights at the corner of Nichols and Pflaum were dead to the world as a few straggling cars paused before heading to their destination. A mile into the run, I hit an area where the power outage hadn't affected it. It was nice to be able to see where my feet were landing once again. I continued on til Olbrich Park and then turned around with the hopes that the black hole of Monona had finally seen the light. I knew that it hadn't, though, when I crested a small hill and could see a wall of darkness in the distance. Despite the dark last mile, I finished up the run with little problem and I got in a nice nighttime run. I don't know which got a harder workout, though... my heart or my pupils. By the way, the power eventually came on... but not until 5:10am.

Today's workout: 5.1 miles > 39:54 > 7:49 pace

Miles this week: 13.3

No comments: