Monday, June 16, 2008

The Start of Marathon Week

Today marks the start of the countdown to Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN on Saturday, and I have to say that I am really looking forward to strapping on those orange racing shoes of mine and digging in at the starting line. Saturday's race is the culmination of a lot of hard work and training, and I am very hopeful that after I cross the finish line, I will have once again earned the right to race in one of the most prestigious marathons in the world... The Boston Marathon. To do that, I have to finish Grandma's in under 3 hours and 15 minutes. Nothing is a guarantee, but I definitely feel in my heart that my training since the middle of March has afforded me one of the best opportunities I have had to attain that goal again. Saturday's race will tell the tale.

With that, I started out Marathon Week with a nice mid-distance training run of 7.5 miles. The weather this morning was really nice and it helped the run to go pretty quickly. It was partly cloudy and cool with a fairly decent breeze blowing. Although I was in the mindset of just running relaxed and easy today, my pace gradually picked up as the run progressed and I averaged a nice 7:35 pace by the end. Will give myself a day of rest tomorrow and be back at it on Wednesday for another little run.

Today's workout: 7.5 miles > 56:49 > 7:35 pace

Miles this week: 7.5

No comments: