Wednesday, May 7, 2008

MY FASTEST RACE TO DATE

Since this is my first post on my new blog I thought a good way to start it would be to talk about how my most recent race went this past Saturday. Saturday, May 3rd was my 7th straight year of doing the Lake Monona 20k. I started back in 2002 when I was just getting into long distance running. My first three years of doing it were really good. Each year I completed the race in 1 hour, 24 minutes and some change which averaged out to around 6:45 per mile. I was very happy with those times because to me running that far and that fast was a big accomplishment for me. Since those first three years my running had gotten a little stagnant. My times at the Monona 20k had been getting slower and slower and last year I had my worst effort when I finished it at 1 hour and 36 minutes for a 7:45 pace average. This years result was a complete turn around. I have dropped close to 30 pounds since last September and my fitness level has reached an all time high. I have been consistenly averaging 40 miles or more a week and have run over 50 miles per week several times already this year. With this new found fitness I had a great result out in Napa Valley this past March, narrowly missing qualifying for the Boston Marathon by 1 minute and 45 seconds. After the Napa Marathon I thought I would slow down a bit to recover but I have actually just kept getting stronger. Because of how good my training was continuing to go I was really looking forward to seeing how I would do in this past Saturdays 20k. I really wanted to erase last years bad effort and see if I could get back to the way I ran the first three years and I wasn't disappointed. The weather for the morning of the race was pretty ideal. Overcast and cool with a light breeze. Also for this race I was going to test out some new light racing shoes that somebody I work with at the running store recommended. They are about 7 to 8 oz. compared to the 13 oz trainers that I usually run in. It's like going from wearing clogs to running in your bare feet.... they are that light. Oh, and they are bright orange with a little silver... I should be good running at the farm during deer season. Anyways, with the combination of being in super fit shape and wearing these light shoes I was able to circle Lake Monona in my fastest time to date.... 1 hour, 21 minutes and 30 seconds for and average of 6:34 per mile. I was really dumbfounded that I could run that fast. I knew I was in shape but I didn't know it would translate it to that fast of a time. I also placed extremely well finishing 25th out of 532 runners... top 5%. Along the way I also beat a few runners that I have come to know that I have never beaten before. One of these runnes I caught at around 8 miles and the other at close to the 11 mile mark. It also made me very happy that my brother Pete and the kids were there to watch me and cheer me on at a few different parts of the course. It's always nice to be able to share your accomplishments and achievements with people you care about.

My next big race is May 17th when I run the Syttende Mai Run, a 20 mile race from Madison to Stoughton. Hopefully those bright orange shoes will help carry me to another good race result and I pray that God helps me stay injury free so that I can continue to do one of the things I most truly enjoy doing... running.


Today's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:23:31 > 7:32 pace

Miles this week: 20.2




2 comments:

kmminski said...

HELLO, QVC?!?!? I'M BRIAN FELLOWS!

Unknown said...

"Run like the wind"! Orange shoe man with silver...Jamie, awesome accomplishments! Wishing you the best and much success...

Peace~
Alex D.