Wednesday, May 14, 2008

THIS IS IT FOR ME... I'M NOT GETTING ANY BETTER... ha ha

There are only a few days until left until the big race Saturday... The Syttende Mai Run. Like I said in my last post, I am really looking forward to it. The weather for it sounds pretty decent although at the tv station I work at, the weatherman says there is a small chance for showers that day. Who really trusts the weatherman though, right? With that, I got in my last big training run before the race. Wanted to get in a good 12 miler this morning and actually wound up going 13. It was a good morning to go. It was overcast and cool but pretty breezy. Despite the wind I still averaged a nice 7:28 pace. It was a nice confidence booster heading into Saturday's race. After I finished my run, I stopped at my good friends David and Mary Dexheimers to say hi, get a drink of water and talk to Dave about running and training. Dave will be running the Grandma's with me in June. Today we were talking about Syttende Mai and I was telling him my plan to run 7:20 to 7:30 pace for the race, at least for the first 10 miles or so, and then, depending how I feel, pick up the pace a bit from there. He is of the thinking that I should really race it and try to best his 2004 time of 2 hours and 17 minutes. He thinks I can run it in 2:15. I told him I was a little wary of running that fast for this race and then he came up with the quote of the day: "C'mon you gotta try it. This is it for you... you're not going to get any better!" Gee, thanks Dave. No seriously, I found it pretty darn funny. I couldn't stop laughing. I told him I had to put that in my blog today.

A sidenote: with a rare day off in the middle of the week from the tv station, I am heading to Milwaukee to watch the Brewers play the Dodgers tonight with my good friend Chris Hammer. Am looking forward to seeing a night game. Hopefully the Brew Crew can win their 4th in a row.

Today's workout: 13.1 miles > 1:37:49 > 7:28 pace

Miles this week: 21.2

No comments: