Friday, May 30, 2008

Be Wary... The Redwing Blackbirds are Back!

You know it is a sure sign of the summer running season when you are out for a run like I was today, and you get dive bombed by a redwing blackbird because you were running somewhere near its nesting area. It almost brought a tear to my eye... I've missed them so. I initially didn't even notice the stupid bird. I was in one of my runner's trances when all of a sudden, I was snapped back to reality by hearing the bird give one of its "death chirps," and then noticed its "pall like" shadow cast in front me, darting back and forth, signifying that the "mad momma" was right over my head and stalking me like a common criminal. It really makes you feel loved as a runner. Although it was just the one time today, I'm sure there will be many more happy encounters by the end of the summer. Maybe next time, when I know I will be running in "enemy territory," I should wear an Audubon Society running shirt to let them know I'm a friend, not foe. Do you think that will help?... me either. They probably have my picture up in their "bird post office." Hey, I didn't start this war, though... they did, when one of their kin took a "flying dump" on my head while I was running down the country road from my parents farm. What a defensive weapon, huh? Makes you think twice before running during the redwing blackbird nesting season.

Despite my "friendly" encounter this morning, I still got in a good run. Usually I don't like to run four consecutive days in a row, but because I have a busy day on tap tomorrow with working at the running store and pet sitting for a couple people I know, I thought I would bypass my day off today, get in my run, and then take tomorrow off since time will be limited. Although my legs did feel a little sluggish, I still ran pretty well... this despite the humidity, too. At least it was an overcast day and there was a comfortable breeze blowing. I finished my 8 mile loop averaging about 7:38 per mile. Not too bad for teh fourth consecutive day.

Today's workout: 8.1 miles > 1:01:47 > 7:38 pace

Miles this week: 35.4

No comments: