Monday, May 12, 2008

SYTTENDE MAI WEEK STARTS TODAY

Well today marks the start of Syttende Mai week for me and I have to say that I am really looking forward to it... and it isn't because I'm 50% Norske either... although I am proud of my heritage. I am part Ottum, right mom? No, the reason I'm looking forward to it is that the 20 mile jaunt from Madison's capitol to Mandt Park in Stoughton will be another good test, challenge and training tool leading up to Grandma's Marathon in June. I have only done the Syttende Mai Run once and that was back in 2004 and I have to say I did pretty well too. I finished 49th out of 561 and I ran the 20 mile course in 2:23:22 for a 7:11 pace average. That would have transfered into doing a marathon in under 3:10. I was very proud of that time considering how tough the course is. If you have never done the Syttende Mai Run just know that it is a very hilly course. Hilly, but fair. Anyways, my goal time for this years 20 mile Norske run is not quite as lofty as the first time. I know I can probably run it just as fast as in 2004, especially in those slick orange racing shoes, but I am hoping to just run it averaging 7:20 to 7:30 per mile. If I do that I will be extremely gratifyed. I say that because my goal for running Grandma's is the same, and if I can do the tough and hilly Syttende Mai Run at that pace, I know I can run Grandma's, which is considerably flatter, at the same pace. If I do that, I will reach what I set out to do at the beginning of the year, and that is to qualify to run Boston for the second time. I truly believe that somtimes you have to temper your races, especially if you're feeling great, and save your best for another day. You should always remember the ultimate prize, and for me, it isn't Syttende Mai... Syttende Mai is just a stepping stone to getting there.

With that I got in a good, little run today before I give myself a break and take tomorrow off. Since I ran what I consider to be pretty crappy on the treadmill yesterday, I wanted to get in a fairly fast workout today. The weather was perfect for a run this morning... sunny and clear with a very light breeze. With the weather conditions as ideal as they were, I got in a good, solid run. An 8 miler where I averaged 7:22 per mile. The last couple miles I even ran a 6:41 and 6:56 mile. It was a good way to start Syttende Mai week and an even better way to go into a day off from running tomorrow. I will be back at it on Wednesday where I hope to run a solid 12 miler.

Today's workout: 8.1 miles > 59:48 > 7:22 pace

Miles this week: 8.1

No comments: