Thursday, May 8, 2008

A RARE EASY DAY

Since I started this new training regimen last September I have been training pretty hard consistently. Most weeks are 40 to 50 miles on average and in order to do that you have to get in several runs of 10 miles or more. Because of that I rarely ever do a run any more that isn't less than 5 miles. I used to get by on certain days just doing 3 to 4 mile runs, but it definitely wasn't helping my overall fitness. Sure I was staying in shape a bit but my running was getting pretty stagnant and not going anywhere. That all changed once I started doing three to four 10 mile runs a week. What a difference that sure makes. I didn't know if my body would hold up to that all that pounding on the legs and I thought that I would just get plain worn out from the big increase in mileage. A funny thing happened though... none of that stuff occurred. In fact the complete opposite happened. My legs kept getting stronger and stronger and I kept getting faster and faster. It also got to be where running 10 miles or more was as routine as running 3 or 4 miles used to be. Let me tell you, that is a pretty awesome feeling when you know you can go out and run 10 miles or more pretty much anytime you want to and not really be tired or winded either. Another amazing thing was that my normally injury prone body adapted, and aside from my normal aches and pains, I really didn't get any injuries. The only injury I incurred was a few weeks before the 2008 Napa Valley Marathon when I got a little bout of achilles tendonitis. The only reason I got that, though, was from running outside to much in the snow here in Little Antarctica (a.k.a. Madison) where we endured over 100 inches of snow this past winter. The previous record was in the 70 inch range and that was in 1978. That type of weather makes for great marathon training, don't you think? With all that said, it just goes to prove that if you don't think your legs can handle the extra workload of more miles, you may just be underestimating yourself. Just remember, the key to increasing your mileage should always be gradual. About a 10% increase per week.

With that said I had a rare easy day today. Only a 3 mile run to log. That's ok though. My legs could use a break especially since I raced last Saturday, did 9 on Monday, 11 on Wednesday and am planning to do 16 or more tomorrow. With that being the case, sometimes it's nice to get back to doing those little 3 mile runs.

Today's workout: 3.1 miles > 24:35 > 7:56 pace

Miles this week: 23.3

No comments: