Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Back to Running Around the Lake

Last night when I got home from work, it was close to 11:30pm but I was still seriously thinking about going out for another nighttime lake run. It was so peaceful and cool out and I know I would have gotten in a good quality run. I was fairly tired though and I just wanted to sit back, relax and doze off while watching tv. After getting up early this morning to get in my first long run since the marathon, I really wished I would have gone last night. It was just way too warm for my taste to run 11 miles. But... I did it anyway. The run started off pretty good, with me running some fairly consistent splits near 7:30 pace for the first 5 miles. But after stopping at the Monona Terrace to get a drink of water and to strip off my soaked running shirt, the last 6 miles seemed like it would take an eternity to finish. I was still running under 8 minute pace but I just felt so sluggish... like I was carrying a piano on my back at times. I grinded out my remaining miles and actually did the 11 at 7:44 pace, which is pretty good considering how warm it was out. At least there was a somewhat cool breeze at times to give me a little relief. I learned my lesson, though... the next time I get home from work and it's a nice night out, I just might be cruising around the lake... especially during the summer months.

Today's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:26:12 > 7:44 pace

Miles this week: 14.2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have learned my lesson about taking advantage of a nice night, too - I should have been out there tonight but 12 hours at work did me in.

I felt the same way about my runs this past weekend (one week post-Grandma's) as they felt sluggish. My legs felt great before my runs, but I noticed the sluggishness. Maybe the marathon takes more out of a person then they realize? Anyway, keep up the training and good luck.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the comment Steve. You are right, though... sometimes a marathon takes more out of you than you realize. There have been times after a marathon where I felt totally recovered, decided to go out for a run and then feel absolutely crappy when I'm running. You sometimes realize that you still have aches and pains that you didn't know were there. I am curious to see how fast my legs will be this Saturday when I run a 10k. Should be interesting.

Glad to hear that you like to run at night once in awhile. To me, that is one of the most ideal times to run. I just love the peace and quiet, the less traffic and the cool temps without the sun out. Best of luck with your running as well.