Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Necessary Run

Yesterday morning I did something I rarely have ever done. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I did it. I laced up my shoes, headed out for a run, and then a couple hundred yards into the run, stopped, turned around and walked home. Why you ask? A couple reasons. One was that even though is was only 8:30am, it was already starting to heat up, the sun was out in full force, and there wasn't much of a breeze. The other reason was that I was still feeling a little tired and sluggish after running at 10pm the previous night. Even though I only did four miles the night before, it was still only about eight hours in between runs and that's a pretty quick turnaround no matter how many miles you do. Tie that with the fact that my body was probaby still recovering from the hard effort I put forth from Saturday morning's race in Waunakee, and you can understand why I just up and stopped. Plain and simple... I just wasn't feeling up to snuff. So, instead of enduring the morning heat, my sluggish feeling legs, and what ultimately would have been a totally crappy run, I told myself, "Screw this, I'll run when I get home from work tonight." And that's exactly what I did. And let me tell you, it was worth the wait... sort of. Earlier in the day I had heard from our weatherman the the humidity might starting to come back in during the nighttime hours, but when I got off of work, I was pleasantly surprised with how ideal the weather actually was. There really wasn't a touch of humidity to speak of and it was great. It was actually cool and pleasant with a fairly steady wind blowing out of the north. Even though it was very ideal running conditions, it was still hard for me to get motivated to go for a run last night. I was tired from the day at work and I just wanted to relax when I got home and doze off to sleep. Despite the sheep beckoning me to count them, I for the second time that day, laced up my shoes and headed out. This time it was a necessary run to complete. The humidity was on it's way to Madison and I didn't want to run this morning with today being forecasted as the muggiest day of the week. Again it was necessary for me to get it done last night and at least assure myself of getting in one quality long run this week. If indeed last night was going to be the best time of the week to run, I had to take advantage of it. Who knew how many sultry days would lie ahead. It was a necessary run... and I took advantage of it.

Last night's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:24:23 > 7:36 pace

Miles this week: 11.1

No comments: