Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Dogsitting = New Running Routes

This morning marked the last run I will do in Monona for about five days. For those of you who don't know, I am what's known as a dogsitter extraordinaire. Some might even call me the Dr. Doolittle or the Ace Ventura of my generation... okay, so no one would really call me that... that would be stupid. Anyways, there are a couple of couples that I dogsit for regularly, and one of those couples just left for a five day joyride to Memphis. Dot and Mike are a retired duo that like to head south every so often to do a little gambling. They left this morning, which means I'll be bunking it with Ziggy the Wonder Dog for the next few days on the west side of Madison. Dogsitting isn't such a bad gig... it gets you out of your routine for a few days and, in the meantime, you make a few bucks on the side. Can't beat that. The other nice thing is that it's a nice change of scenery for my running routes. Don't get me wrong... I love Monona and all the nice running routes it affords me, but every once in awhile it's nice to shake things up a bit and run on some different sidewalks, paths and roads. If you don't do that, running can get really stagnant in a hurry. That's why I don't mind coming over to Dot and Mike's house to do a little sitting. It gives me the chance to run by Blackhawk Country Club, through Shorewood Hills, out to Picnic Point, along the Memorial Union, or down by Camp Randall Stadium where the Badger's play. They are all great places to venture to and they are all welcome sights to see. It's just the little "pick me up" that my training needs.

Today's workout: 5.1 miles > 37:35 > 7:22 pace

Miles this week: 16.2

No comments: