Sunday, July 13, 2008

Runnin' and Rockin' at Dusk

Yesteday morning, I wasn't to motivated to go for a run being that I was pretty tired from a long week at work, and the fact that I had to work at Movin' Shoes this morning for a few hours. Because of that, I decided to head out to get in a 13 miler a little after 8:00pm last night, just as the sun was setting. It really was a beautiful night to go. The temp was just the way I like it... nice and cool. At about the 2 mile mark, I heard music blaring from the Dane County Coliseum, which was about a mile away. As I neared the coliseum and the music was getting louder and louder, I remembered that this was the weekend that they were having a big outdoor concert at Willow Island, headlining the 80's hairband Poison. As I ran by, I didn't get to hear Unskinny Bop or Every Rose has it's Thorn, though. Poison wasn't on stage at that time. Instead, I got to hear some song I didn't recognize from the opening band, Dokken. No matter... it was still pretty entertaining to run by rock concert and hear a throng of people rockin' out like it was the 80's. It would have been kind of cool to just stop and take it in for a bit, but I just wanted to continue on with my run. By the seven mile mark, I was down at the capitol sqaure and noticed how they had the entire square blocked off. For those of you who don't know, this is the weekend of the summer when they have Art Fair on the Square, where local artists set up tents around the capitol to show off their creations and featured works. It's a pretty neat set up. By the time I ran through, however, all the tent flaps were closed and I pretty much had the streets of the capitol to myself. Running on the streets of the capitol square with the big tents on either side of me, was pretty cool. It felt like I was kind of running through a big maze. After a couple laps around the square, I headed down Williamson St. towards home. Because Williamson was thick with people were out and about going to local establishments for drinks, I had to dart to and from the sidewalks fairly often to avoid slowing down and avoiding contact. That wasn't the tough part of the run, though. The tough part was when I hit Atwood Ave. leading to Olbrich Park. In that two to three mile, the bugs were out in full force and it almost felt like I was running through a sort of sand storm. Bugs were bouncing off of me left and right, and I noticed a few were sticking to me as well. I felt like a big piece of fly paper. It was pretty gross. All in all, though, it was nice Saturday night to go for a run. By the time I got home, I could still hear the concert going on three miles away. Poison had finally taken the stage.

Last night's workout: 13.1 miles > 1:38:01 > 7:30 pace

Miles this week: 36.4

No comments: