Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tolerable Temps

After getting home from work last night, I couldn't quite pull the trigger on doing a late night run. Part of me was really aching to go because it had actually cooled down quite considerably after some afternoon and evening rain storms. However, my body took a vote and decided that it really didn't feel like running twice in one day. That and the fact that I was just plain beat after work. With that, I set my alarm for 6:30am and gambled that the milder temps would linger til morning. When I pryed myself out of bed at an hour that I'm not used to, I stuck my head out my apartment complex and found that it wasn't too bad out... yet, anyway. That could change at any second. I quick had a bowl of cereal to get some running sustenance in me, took a few minutes to let it settle, and then I was off around the lake. While my body was loosening up in the first mile, I took careful notice of the sky and was encouraged by the fact that a good portion of it was clouded over. Don't get me wrong, the was sun out, but it was behind me, and I was running in the general direction of those wonderful cloudy skies. I say wonderful because those skies made things just a touch cooler and provided a little extra shade. My cousin Adrian knows what I'm talking about. He's probably one of few people I know, besides myself, who is happiest when it's cloudy and overcast out. I know what you're thinking... we really ARE related... and a little weird. I'm sure we'd fit in well with The Addams Family. Anyways, my point was again, that cloudy skies were really a blessing. It also helped that there was a fairly cool breeze blowing. I did take a quick pit stop at the 5 mile mark by the Monona Terrace to get a quick drink, down some energy gel and just take a quick breather, but I was soon back on my horse and finished up the rest of the run fine. In hindsight, it looks like I picked the best time of day to go because as soon as I finished my 10 miler, it started to heat up pretty quickly. My little gamble paid off.

Today's workout: 10.1 miles > 1:18:03 > 7:44 pace

Miles this week: 26.3

No comments: