Thursday, July 31, 2008

Change of Scenery is Nice... Weather is Not!

Yesterday I wrote of how I was looking forward to a change of running scenery since I have a dogsitting gig, and this morning I headed out into the great western expanse and the vast wildnerness that is the westside of Madison. Okay, so maybe that was a little too much hyperbole to describe the westside of town, especially from someone who lives on the eastside, but the scenery change was nice. It was nice to be able to run by Blackhawk C.C., down University and Old University Ave., past Camp Randall and up the shaded and wooded East/West Bikepath. It's a nice little nine mile loop that affords you a lot of different sights. What was not nice was the weather. It was miserably sweltering and sunny out... or as we from the Coulee Region like to say, "It was hot enough to knock a buzzard off a shitwagon." Okay, so maybe that isn't the most elegant of colorful metaphors that you've ever heard, but it gets the point across... it was hot! The only saving grace was that there was a nice directional breeze and the second half of the run was pretty well shaded. Those two things helped cool the body down a little. The only thing that was missing, and needed, was a water fountain. I really could have used a drink. One thing I've noticed is that there isn't an over abundance of watering holes on the westside. I'm sure I'm altogether wrong on that, but I sure as heck can't find them. I guess I'm just not running in the right places. Despite the oppressive heat and the lack of water, I muddled my way through my nine my goal. After the run, my watch said that I averaged 7:38 pace for the run, but it sure didn't feel like it... it felt much, much slower. Oh well, not all runs can be super smooth and fluid. The tough ones build character... at least that's what I tell myself. No matter, it's done and over with and one for the books.

Today's workout: 9.1 miles > 1:09:29 > 7:38 pace

Miles this week: 25.3

No comments: