Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Day Off... Sort Of

Yesterday I was planning to take a full day off from running since I had run a little over 27 miles the previous three days, and although I didn't run in the morning, I also didn't take the day off fully. After I got off of work last night, I wasn't feeling particularly tired and it was such a beautiful night out, I thought it would be a waste and a shame if I didn't take advantage of it. The running conditions were just about as ideal as it could get. It was clear and cool out with a nice northerly breeze, and with the moon out, it made it seem even more calm and peaceful and even more of a joy to run. It hardly seemed like there was a soul out either, except when I passed by the Monona Terrace where there were a few people doing enjoying some late night fishing, or passed by an occasional watering hole where people were yucking it up and having a few libations. I also can't forget the wonderful young man who passed by me on his bicycle and having the IQ of a house plant blurted out, "What the%*#@ are you doing out running at night!" Brilliant. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it, since he is out riding his bike at night. Normally I revel in that type of commentary and like to bark something back, but tonight I was feeling so good and enjoying myself so much I just said "screw it" and continued on my way. It wasn't worth the effort. Despite the minor interruption from the Pulitzer Prize Winner on wheels, it really was a great run last night. I felt pretty strong and fluid and was happy to circle the lake at 7:28 per mile clip. Even though that made it four consecutive days of running, there won't be fifth straight day. I'll finally give my legs a break and wait til morning... at least that's the plan anyway.

A quick sidenote: Today I signed up to run the 30th Annual Waunafest 10 miler on Saturday morning. I'm hoping Saturday's race will be a bit of redemption from last years poor performance. More on that Saturday, though.

Last night's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:22:51 > 7:28 pace

Miles this week: 21.6

No comments: