Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Jaeger Boys Take a Couple Medals at Chileda

This morning, me and my family got up early to head to La Crosse to run in the annual La Crosse Chileda Classic. I believe this was the 28th or 29th year it has been going on. It's gotten to be a pretty big event over the years and the race is always followed up by a nice breakfast in the park along the Mississippi River. In past years, it has usually been pretty warm and humid for the race, but this morning it was pretty ideal out. It was mostly sunny and cool out and a little breezy. I was excited about running this morning because I was going to get to race with my brother Pete, which I hadn't done in awhile, and I also felt like I had a good shot at breaking the 40 minute barrier for the 10K, which I had never done before. The gun sounded at 7:30am and the lead pack went out at a typical quick pace. Pete and I settled into a nice pace fairly quickly and we hit the first mile at about 6:11. The next mile slowed a bit but it was still a solid mile at 6:20. The third mile was a little tougher because we were running into a fairly strong breeze which made the pace slow down just a tad. We still hit the 3 mile mark at 6:27, and that would end up being our slowest mile. Mile 4 was lot nicer because we were able to get out of the wind a bit, and the streets we were running on were fairly shaded. We hit the 4 mile mark with a 6:20 split. Around 4.5 miles I started to tire a bit and Pete surged ahead a tad, but not my too much. He was always within shouting distance and kept encouraging me by saying that I was right on pace to crack 40 minutes. Despite feeling a tad spent, I still hit the 5 mile mark with another 6:20 mile. The end was now in sight and all I had to do was run with a little guts and I would get my mark. The early part of the 6th mile was a little slow, but almost halfway through it, I got a little strength back and was able to pick up my pace again. I was never able close the gap with my brother, but that's ok, because when I rounded the final corner and could see the finish line, I knew I had done what I set out to do. I crossed the finish line in 39:09, averaging 6:18 pace, and was extremely proud of myself. I had run a very smart race, and having my brother there to pace me and work off of, really helped me a lot. Pete finished the race in 38:55, just 14 seconds ahead of me. That is the closest I've ever gotten to him in a race so that was a good feeling too. Granted, he isn't in his usual super fit mode, but that just shows you how talented he is to be able to average 6:16 per mile over 6 miles when he hasn't been running a ton of mileage. I think it's kind of funny to think that one of his slower times is my best. That's ok, though... I'd be happy to run that anyday. Our times were good enough to place us 23rd and 26th respectively out of 279 runners and we also were able to win 2nd and 3rd place medals in our age group. Pete's wife Dannie also ran the 10k and she placed 171st overall and 8th in her age group with a time of 53:26. Our dad did the 5k and finished 550th out off 774 with a time of 35:44. Dad just missed getting a medal in his age group by placing 4th. We all ran great races and it made the pancakes and sausage taste even better afterwards. The morning was topped by watching the kids race in which Pete and Dannie's kids to part of. I had a lot of fun watching them and cheering them on. Actually, it really was fun watching all the kids run... they really ran their hearts out and tried their best, and that is what we should all aspire to do.

Warm up before race: 1 mile > 8:11

Today's race: 10K > 39:09 > 6:18 pace

Miles this week: 24.5

No comments: