Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A or B

A or B. Go to yet another going away party for an employee at work OR go home and get in a late night long run. Subject myself to a crowded, noisy bar down on campus OR run around the lake in peacefulness and coolness of the night. Which nightlife option in Madison do you think won out? Yup, it wasn't even close. I'll take the run around the lake anytime... even if it means me getting done with my run at 1am like last night. Station going away parties are an all too common occurence in the tv buisness... especially at my station. They are about as common and annoying as a sneeze. They lost their luster with me a long time ago, and with the impending hot and humid weather on the horizon, my time was better spent getting in a quality long run while the summer air was still cool. Plus, you really can't beat running in Madison at night. I am still awestruck everytime I run down the Monona bike path towards the Capitol and the Monona Terrace at night. The way the lights from each of those structures bounces and gleems off of the glassy waters of Lake Monona is just incredible. You can't help but quicken your pace and feel good at the same time. The ironic thing is that this is the same part of the run that I really don't much care for during the daylight hours. When the sun is out in the morning, heading down the bike path towards the terrace can somtimes be interminably miserable, what with all the traffic, noise and congestion... not to mention the way the sun beats down on you with no shaded relief. It is physically and mentally draining to say the least. At nighttime, though, it isn't draining at all... it's the polar opposite... it's very invigorating. There is hardly any traffic, noise and congestion to deal with, and it feels like you have the whole road to yourself... like you are running in a ghost town through the stillness of the night. I tell you, nothing beats that serenity. No IPOD, MP3 player, or cell phone to speak of... just you, your thoughts, and the crickets. That's just how I like it.

Last night's workout: 11.1 miles > 1:22:22 > 7:25 pace

Miles this week: 11.1

No comments: